Navigation

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

People don't ALWAYS suck

As I posted previously, people don't always suck in everything they do. I basically suck. I admit it freely. I can be and usually am pretty much an asshole. But I also do and have done good things. I know this because I am told so and on occasion I can actually feel that what I am doing is good... just as one knows, even if it is deep down inside, when one is doing something bad. 

I am writing this post to relay my appreciation of irony in life.

I live in a rural community where everyone professes to be "Christian", whether they act like it or not. They are mostly pious, self-important, legends in their own mind. In reality they are mostly racist, bigoted, judgmental, abusive individuals who hide behind a Bible (which they've never read) and a gun (which they probably should not have for mental health reasons).

I am the embodiment of everything that they fear and hate: I do not profess to be Christian yet know their Holy Book better than most of their ministers, I am a convicted felon (who has served his time, hence I have paid my debt to society for disarming an attacker at my home and shooting him with his own gun), and I had AIDS for almost 25 years (contracted during my foolish "druggie" days). So, it's not hard to imagine that a whole lot of people wish I would just die... the medical "industry" not excluded - rather than try to figure out why I have lived this long, they'd rather just not touch me any more than they absolutely have to and allow existing conditions go undiagnosed and untreated. But much of this paragraph deserves an entire post (or web site!) of its own.

The irony I wish to relay here, and the good news that not everyone sucks all of the time, is the fact as geographically and socially isolated as I am, the only people who "check on me" (to gauge my mental state and to see if I need anything) are other social pariah's - people who themselves are disabled with physical bodily damage and other communicable diseases. And other felons.

I can almost, but not quite, understand fear of AIDS. But fear of conditions such as Hep C, Multiple Sclerosis, and such is nothing short of willful ignorance and social insecurity.

And with that epiphany, I will close this post. Just keep in mind that the reason that People Basically Suck is willful ignorance and social insecurity.

No comments:

Post a Comment